Attack on the London Underground: the level of terrorist alert lowered in the United Kingdom

Attack on the London

Attack on the London Underground: the level of terrorist alert lowered in the United Kingdom

A second arrest took place Saturday night after Friday’s attack on the London subway, which left about 30 wounded.

After having identified Friday terrorist alert level to “critical”, fearing an attack “imminent”, the center of British Terrorism Analysis of decided, Sunday, September 17, lowering it to “severe”. On Friday morning, a bomb attack in the London subway in Parsons Green, claimed by the jihadist Islamic State (EI) organization, caused about 30 wounded.

On Saturday night, a second suspect was arrested by the British police. The 21-year-old man was arrested in the western suburb of London, Hounslow, at around 11:50 pm (0050, Sunday, French time), the police said in a statement on Sunday. A search, “related to his arrest” was underway at Stanwell (West London suburb), she added at midday.

  • First suspect arrested Saturday in Dover

Around 7:50 am (8:50 am French time) on Saturday, the police arrested an 18-year-old man for his alleged involvement in “the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism”, he said. The bombing, the fifth in six months in the United Kingdom, was carried out on a train at peak rush hour around 8:20 am (9:20 am French time) at the Parsons Green station in an affluent neighborhood south-west London, by means of an artisanal explosive device.

Interior Minister Amber Rudd said it was “far too early to draw any conclusions” from the attack, and that “everything would be done to understand” how the 18-year-old suspect ‘ is radicalized, on the BBC on Sunday.

The arrest of the first suspect, described as “very important” by the police, took place in the departure area of the port of Dover, a transit point to the other side of the English Channel. It led to the partial evacuation of the port to 11 h 40 (12 h 40 French times) to allow “to search the premises as a precautionary measure”. This operation allowed the police to get their hands on “several objects”, while the suspected suspect was transferred to a police station in London, detailed Basu.

According to British media, the young man was hosted by a host family.

In a television message broadcast after an emergency government meeting, Interior Minister Amber Rudd stressed on Saturday that it was “far too early” to say whether he was known to the forces of the order, as the previous day Donald Trump said on Twitter. The remarks of the US president had upset Prime Minister Theresa May.

“This is an investigation that is progressing very quickly. We have made considerable progress … and we will continue to do our best to reduce the threats in this country, “ said London police boss Cressida Dick on the BBC. The police partly evacuated Saturday a residential area of Sunbury-on-Thames, about 20 kilometers south-west of London, establishing a security cordon of a 100-meter radius around a house to conduct a search.

  • Lower level of terrorist alert

Fearing another “imminent” attack, the British center for terrorist analysis on Friday raised the level of terrorist alert to “critical”, the maximum level, for the second time in a few months. The level was finally lowered on Sunday to “serious”. The threat of an attack is therefore no longer considered “imminent” but as “highly probable,” Amber Rudd said.

On Sunday morning, a British Airways Paris- London flight with 130 passengers on board was delayed several hours from Roissy-CDG airport after a false bomb alert, which required the temporary evacuation of the plane.

Theresa May announced in a televised message on Friday that military personnel would be deployed on key sites that are not accessible to the public, in order to increase the presence of police officers in public places, including transportation, high traffic areas, and sites tourist. The results of the attack could have been much worse, according to the prime minister, who said Friday that the explosive device was intended to do “enormous damage”.

Photos on Twitter showed a white bucket burning but little damaged in a Lidl supermarket freezer bag inside a subway car, with electric wires coming out. One witness, Peter Crowley, said he saw a “fireball”. The remains of the bomb are being examined by scientists, according to the police. Asked by AFP, she did not want to comment on British media reports that the bomb retarder had not worked and the craft contained nails and TATP, an explosive prized by jihadists.

  • London wants new security treaty with EU

The UK has been hit in recent months by a wave of attacks that have been thirty-five people in a context of the proliferation of jihadist attacks in Europe. The attack on the London

The British government said on Sunday will conclude with the European Union a new security treaty, which would continue the cooperation in the fight against crime and terrorism after Brexit. The attack on the London

“A treaty would provide a legal basis for further police cooperation, security, and criminal after our EU output”, said the executive in a statement Monday before the publication of a paperwork on the subject.