UNITED STATES: SIXTEEN YEARS AFTER 9/11, NEW VICTIM IDENTIFIED
VICTORY– Only 60% of the victims of the September 11th attack in New York have been identified. On Monday, the authorities announced they had put a name on an additional person.
He became the 1641th identified victim of the September 11th attack. Nearly sixteen years after two Al-Qaeda bombed planes crashed into the World Trade Center towers, killing 2,753 people, New York authorities said on Monday that they had identified a man who died in the tragedy. At the request of his family, his identity was not made public.
According to Dr. Barbara Sampson, the city’s Chief Medical Examiner interviewed by the New York Times, her teams continue to analyze human remains as more advanced scientific methods are available. Thus, thanks to the progress made in the extraction of the DNA and in the technologies of examination, they finally managed to put a face on this man.
It had been more than two years since the New York Forensic Institute had identified a body. “This ongoing work is essential because, with each new identification, we are able to bring answers to families affected by a huge loss,” said Dr. Sampson, Chief Medical Examiner of the City, New York Times.